How it began and why you're here...

Readfield, Kennebec County, Maine was originally incorporated in 1771 as part of Winthrop. Twenty years later residents voted almost unanimously to separate from Winthrop, and Readfield became incorporated on March 11, 1791. Welcome to this web site where you will meet the courageous men and women who founded our town.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

WHITTIER, Nathaniel 1790 US Census Winthrop 2-4-6-0-0



Nathaniel Whittier was born 1743 in Raymond, NH, a son of Nathaniel and Hannah (Clough) Whittier. He, his father and brothers Thomas and William – and more than likely Benjamin - came to East Readfield in 1765 (then called Pondtown) - only one year after the very first settler came here to live in the Maine backwoods wilderness. This took courage and was an ambitious undertaking because they were entering into an unpopulated and unknown region. The "Whitcher" men, as the name was pronounced in the old days, cleared 20 acres of trees the first summer (in the area of Carleton Pond) then returned the following spring, burned the fallen timber and planted corn in unplowed soil. They were the first to clear and plant in this way and historians tell us they created quite a stir! You see, by then others had moved into this area and people came from miles away to see the corn crop with their own eyes as they could not imagine anyone being successful by planting this way. From then forward others followed the Whittier men’s lead and cleared and planted in the same way. This became such a common practice that the air was full of smoke in northern New England at times. “Good burns” became so popular in Maine that an occurrence happened, known as “dark day’, on May 19, 1780. On that day a vast canopy of thick smoke plunged northern New England into complete darkness (Joseph Baker of Readfield… by Dale Potter Clark, 2013).

Nathaniel and his father-in-law Jedediah Prescott built the first dam on the stream that feeds Carleton Pond. That provided the water power for Prescott's mills (on the Winthrop end) and the mill pond was known as Whittier Pond in those days (per Whittier Pond 1795 plan #52 Kennebec County Registry of Deeds). Thomas Whittier – Nathaniel’s brother - sold his land in Readfield to Joseph Carleton in 1802, who also operated mills at East Readfield. The mill pond was called Carleton after that time.

Nathaniel Whittier was a Revolutionary War veteran, a prominent citizen in this town and a devout Methodist. In 1788 he deeded land for East Readfield Cemetery to the people of Readfield. When the Methodist circuit rider, Rev. Jesse Lee, came to town for the first time in 1793, the meeting house was not yet built, so he preached his first sermon in Readfield at the home of Nathaniel Whittier. The first town meeting in 1771 was also held at the home of Nathaniel Whittier  - when Readfield was still a part of Winthrop.

Nathaniel's father-in-law Jedediah Prescott's original homestead was located not far from the Whittier's, on the Stanley Road, and is still standing (owned by Frake 2014).  Prescott later built a larger home on the corner of Metcalf and Stanley Road which is also still standing (owned by Bryant 2014). As mentioned earlier, he was a miller, but Prescott was also much in demand as a land surveyor in the early days, so he was privy to the availability of prime land as it opened to settlers and speculators. It is not

surprising, then, that in 1792 Nathaniel and Jedediah bought 112,118 acres of land - Wyman Plantation - which later became the town of Vienna. This inspired others in the family to move on. Nathaniel's brother, William, sold his homestead on the west shore of Whittier Pond, to Dea. Levi Morrill in 1801, and he moved to Mt. Vernon. His home still stands near the old mill in that village (owned by Cole 2014). Prescott sold his home in Winthrop in 1802 and moved to Mt. Vernon as well. Many direct descendants live in Vienna and Mt. Vernon to this day. One is Bonnie Gilman Parlin, pictured at left, standing next to Nathaniel Whittier's grave at East Readfield Cemetery.

Nathaniel remained in Readfield, where he died in 1798 and is buried with his wife and other family members in East Readfield Cemetery (see info extracted from his will below). His holdings were significant for the times. 
Eleven children of Nathaniel and Elizabeth (Prescott) Whittier born in Chester and Raymond, NH: **
1) Hannah b.1769 d.1788 Raymond, NH
2) Mary b.1769 d.1836 Readfield m.1795 Samuel Page, Esq.
3) Jedediah b.1771 d.1842 Vienna, ME m.1795 Ruth Whittier (1st cousin - d/o Benjamin)
4) Ruth Frances b.1773 d.1857 Vienna, ME
5) Thomas b.1775 d.1836 Waldo County, ME m.1796 Tamson Furber
6) Dorothy b.1777
7) Ruhamah b.1779
8) Abel b.1781 d.1829 Vienna, ME
9) Nathaniel b.1783 d.1869 Vienna, ME m1.1804 Nancy Merrill m2.1844 (Mrs. Joseph) Sarah Bodwell Jayne
10) Levi b.1786 d.1848 New Sharon, ME
11) Hannah b.1789 d.1817 Mt. Vernon, ME

** This is not a complete family register. Those who are interested in additional info i.e. death and marriage dates should pursue their own research. Information I have gathered thus far gives the children birthplaces as Chester and Raymond, NH. This is not consistent with the information about the Whittier brothers coming to Pondtown in 1765, so requires further research to prove or disprove. Additional info about these children can be gleaned from Nathaniel's will below.
Nathaniel Whittier's will probated in Lincoln County reads as follows:

Be it remembered that I Nathaniel Whittier of Readfield in the County of Lincoln and Commonwealth of Massachusetts Husbandman being weak in Body but of sound mind and memory do this tenth day of March Anno Domini one thousand seven hundred and ninty-eight make and publish this my last Will and Testament in the following manner that is to say--
In the first place I give to my beloved Wife all my Household furniture exclusive of her Lawfull right of Dower in my Estate excepting my Clock
Also I give to my Daughter Mary Page forty Dollars to be paid in Household Furniture by my Executor hereafter to be named to be paid in one year after my Decease.
Also I give to my Son Jedediah Whittier fifty acres of Land lying in a place called Wyman Plantation in the County of Lincoln aforesaid it being the northwesterly End of Lot No. forty seven also one undivided third of Lot No. eighty two in said Plantation
Also I give to my Daughter Ruth Cochran ten Dollars to be paid by my said Executor within one year after my Decease
Also I give to my Son Thomas Whittier all my Stock Including my ??
Also I give to my Daughter Dorothy Johnson a Lot of Land lying in the aforesaid Plantation and numbered one hundred and four
Also I give to my Daughter Ruhamah Whittier a Lot of Land lying in the aforesaid Plantation and numbered ninty two also one hundred and fifty Dollars to be paid in household Furniture by my said Exector within one year after my Decease
Also I give to my Son Abel Whittier the northerly half of Lot No. fifty eight to be divided in the middle lengthways of said Lot also one undivided third of Lot No. eighty two said Lots lying in the aforesaid Plantation also one pair of Oxen measuring six feet and a good Cow and a good Suit of Cloaths to be Delivered to him by my Executor when he shall arrive to the age of twenty one Years until which time he said Abel shall work with my said Executor
Also I give to my Son Nathaniel Whittier the southerly half of Lot No. fifty eight excepting four Acres which I have sold off the Southeast Corner of said Lot also one undivided third of Lot No. eighty two said Lots lying in the aforesaid Plantation also a pair of Oxen measuring six feet and a Cow and a good Suit of Cloaths to be delivered to him by my said Executor when he shall arrive to the age of twenty one years untill which time he said Nathaniel shall work for said Executor
Also I give to my Son Levi Whittier a Lot of Land lying in the aforesaid Plantation and numbered one hundred and seven also a pair of Oxen measuring six feet and a good Cow and a good Suit of Cloaths to be delivered to him by my said Executor when he shall arrive to the age of twenty one Years untill which time he said Levi shall work for my said Executor
Also I give to my Daughter Hannah Whittier a Lot of Land lying in the aforesaid Plantation and numbred ninty four also one hundred and fifty Dollars to be paid her in household Furniture to be Delivered to her by my said Executor when She shall arrive to the age of eighteen years untill which time she said Hannah is to be maintained by my said Executor including her Labour
Also I give to my Grandson Nathaniel Cochran a Lot of Land lying in the aforesaid Plantation and numbered ninty eight
Also I give to my Grandson Cyrus Whittier a Lot of Land lying in the aforesaid Plantation and numbered ninty six
Also I give to the Methodist Society in said Wyman Plantation two Plantation and to be paid by my said Executor. To the Committee who shall be appointed by said Society to Superintend said Building whenever it shall be needed for that use
Also I give to my Son Thomas Whittier all the Debts that may be owing to me at my Decease he paying to my Children and to the Methodist Society as before named also I give to my said Son Thomas Whittier all my Estate Real and Personal not herein before Bequeathed and Devised wherever the same may be found And lastly I do Constitute and Ordain my said Son Thomas Whittier sole Executor of this my last Will and Testament
In Testamony whereof I do hereunto set my hand and Seal the day and Year above Written Nathaniel Whittier
Signed Sealed Published Pronounced and Declared by the said Nathaniel Whittier as and for his last Will and Testament in the Presents of us who at his request and in his presents hereunto set our names as Witneses to the same John Hubbard John Evens Samuel Judkins
Probated 31 May, 1798 . [VIII, 91.]
John Hubbard and Samuel Judkins , both of Readfield , sureties.

No comments:

Post a Comment